Mar 5, 2012

Keeping Certain Foods Out of the House

The philosophy: Don't completely cut out the foods you love.

The reality: Having those foods around leads to over-consumption and unrestrained eating.

I keep most of those bad foods that gave me problems out of my house these days, mostly desserts and take-out pizzas. But something new crept in. I needed to make sure I had snackable foods around so I didn't overeat but one of those snacks was liked too much by me and has become a problem I now have to banish from my kitchen.

It's simple and maybe a little unusual: Wheat Thins crackers and cheddar cheese. They go so well together. It all stems from a night when I was super hungry and I started to combine these two items I found in the kitchen. I really enjoyed it and began looking to recreate that original experience of pleasure. This is a problem because it leads to emotional eating. Emotional eating leads to an over consumption of calories.

I've decided I can't easily beat this problem, so I have to just not buy Wheat Thins crackers. I can keep the cheese for other things, but the combination has been unhelpful.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very good point. This combo would be a weakness for me, too. I don't often keep crackers or chips or anything salty and easily consumable because when boredom eating inevitably kicks in, I won't stop. So I have taken to filling my belly with things like apples, miso soup and raw veggies. Not very satisfying, but within 20 minutes the hunger impulse is gone and I usually find something else to do anyway. Pitfall avoided. It wouldn't be, though, if I had anything like Wheat Thins too close at hand. -M.

    ReplyDelete