Jul 17, 2011

What is Nike Plus and why is it useful for someone like me?

A Nike+ sensor in a Nike+ shoe
I like to listen to music while I exercise. (On a treadmill, I go about 20% faster with music in my ears!) When I kicked obesity the first time, in 1996, there were few options for carrying music with you while you walked or jogged. The tape Walkman was history and the Sony Discman that played CDs was vulnerable to skipping when it was shaken. Then came MP3 players and eventually, the ubiquitous iPod.

I bought an iPod Touch a couple of years ago with the intention of using it when I exercised. I never really exercised, however, until recently. It comes with an app called Nike Plus or "Nike+." It requires the purchase of a small sensor that is to be placed in any "Nike+" runner (in a special cutout under the insole.) However, you can purchase third party holders for the sensor and attach it to the shoe laces on any brand of running shoe. It sends a signal automatically to your iPod Touch. Other iPods need a extra part that attaches at the bottom of the iPod to receive the signal.

On the surface, this product seemed geared towards hardcore runners, but I've found it very useful for my weight loss walking routine.

Two different screen captures from the Nike Plus iPod app
The Nike Plus app plays your music (an exercise playlist, for example) and gives you voice prompts automatically or manually as you exercise. You can program it for a 3 KM walk, for example, and it will tell you when you're half way and count down your final stretch. It also gives you messages from celebrity athletes congratulating/motivating you when you achieve goals or surpass your previous fastest pace or longest 'run.'

There are several functions of the Nike Plus system that I find useful. One is pace. I can see how my body is feeling by what pace of walking I'm at. If I'm tired or my body hasn't recovered from previous exercise, I can see my pace fall below normal. I can use pace to motivate me to go a bit harder and I can compare my pace over time to see how it changes.

3rd party Nike+ sensor holder can be used on any shoe
Secondly, it sends your data to NikeRunning.com where you get a free account. This acts as an exercise diary so you can keep track of your exercise (distance, pace, length of time, time of day) over weeks or months. All you have to do is click "send to Nike" on your iPod and it's taken care of for you.

Thirdly, your "runs" can be viewed publicly on NikeRunning.com or even posted automatically to Facebook and or Twitter. Publicly disclosing your exercise makes you accountable to 'running friends' or to friends and family in general. Friends can congratulate you and encourage you to continue.

Another feature I like is the mapping function on their web site. You can draw a route in your neighbourhood on Google Maps and see how far it is. I drew my current route and found it was about 2.5 KM. But I want to try other routes for variety so I draw different variations and find routes of the same length around my home.

A "run" displayed on the NikeRunning.com web site
All told, it's another tool that you might find useful for exercise motivation. A link to my NikePlus page is on the right column of this blog.

Even though you can calibrate it for walking, Nike Plus still calls all exercise sessions "runs."

In Canada, the sensors cost $25 at running stores and holders cost between $5 and $10. The sensors last about a year before the battery dies and the unit has to be replaced. If you don't have an iPod Touch or iPhone, make sure you buy the "kit" for your iPod that has a receiver on it.

1 comment:

  1. This seems really neat. If walking/running were my chosen form of exercise, I'd give this a try. This review is well-written, too.

    ReplyDelete