Mar 31, 2012

Biking for the First Time: This Year vs. Last

I did some bike riding this weekend and you'll forgive me if I start by saying, "Wow!"

It was such an intense, soul-scraping moment last spring. That's when I ever so tentatively tried to get on my bike and ride down the street. It was under the cover of night on bent wheels. An activity that I loved all my life was shaming me to my core as I attempted to get back on the saddle, as it were.

I strained just to get thirty yards up the street. I returned home thinking cycling was over for me. Or, if it wasn't, I figured it would be years of hard work before I could get there.

This year I had a big plan to start getting in shape for cycling by using a stationary bike at the gym for at least six weeks. Well, spring snuck up on me and I didn't get much of a chance to prepare.

This weekend I headed out on my bike again, wondering how I'd do the first time out. I was apprehensive but it went very well! My family was left behind in my dust.

Staying strong all winter got me ready for summer cycling.

Staying strong also gives me confidence in my body and the ability to do much more than a person my weight should be able to.

It started one year ago just by putting one foot in front of the other.

I'm looking forward to a fun summer.

2 comments:

  1. I have to tell you, James, that your blogging about exercise has encouraged me to give it a more serious try. I've started slowly (just walking about 15-20 minutes three times a week, plus riding a stationary bike and playing around with some light weights) but am finding its just like you said -- my body is getting used to it and its getting easier every day. Thanks for the inspiration! - Chris

    ReplyDelete