Jun 19, 2012

My New Permanent Profession

I, James, am happy to announce that I am now an athlete.

F.A.Q.: "James, what do you do?"
A: Excellent question. I'm an athlete.

For the rest of my life, that's what I vow to be. You see, I don't want gastric bypass surgery. I don't want my disability to return. I don't want to not enjoy everything that life has to offer a healthy human being. I don't want to live out my life stuck in quicksand.

To me, keeping fit means putting my chronic disease (obesity) into remission. Thank God I don't have to take pills or undergo invasive treatments for my debilitating disease.

All I have to do is have fun.

Even if I were a naturally thin person, this is what I should be doing with my life. One's health or quality of life isn't necessarily dependent on the size of one's waistline. I believe the older we get, the more important fitness is for our quality of life no matter what size we are.

On the weekend I headed out to a nature preserve that is an hour out of town by bike. My eight year-old son and I traveled on gravel roads to get there. It took about an hour each way. Unlike on roads, I had trouble keeping up with my boy "off road" on my less-efficient mountain bike.

He was so proud of what he accomplished and so proud of his dad, who did almost nothing with him up until last summer.

When I got back from that exhausting trip (it wouldn't have been so exhausting if my son took it easy) I had had my fill of cycling. It was even something of a letdown to be done that goal and not to have anything else on my list of things to try.

But a day or two later, the feeling started to burn inside of me. I want to tear up something with my bike. I want to get out there, to make my heart beat fast, and to push my body to it's full, ever-increasing potential.

I hope that fire never goes away. It's my choice to keep it going.

1 comment:

  1. Even though there are those naturally thin people out there, your exercise regime is better than most of those people. You'll end up with a stronger heart, that can probably better hold up better under stress and the occasional need to shovel a bunch of snow.

    A teacher in the uplands area, several years younger than us, died last Friday from a heart attack. Don't know his history, but it makes one think.

    When I was being an 'athlete' it was something to be proud of. Especially when a person was never one when they're young. Now I need to slowly get back to being a lifetime athlete like yourself. It's the only way to help one hopefully not become disabled at too young an age.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete