Feb 26, 2012

"If I Could Only Become An Exercise Fanatic, I Would Be Thin"

I believe the above statement is a myth that many of us believe. On the one hand, I believe strongly that getting fit cures much of what ails you because of obesity, especially fatigue and mobility. But I also believe that much of the problem of obesity stems from complex and widely varied problems with our mental health. If you don't work on the mental aspect, being fit isn't the cure for your large waist line. I think--and you hear this a lot from health care professionals--that a comprehensive approach is best.

My pet peeve has always been people who talk about this or that diet or method while people with eating problems perk up and want to know every detail. There still seems to be the notion that there's a secret out there that will somehow easily solve why we're overweight. I'm sure there's not. You have to really examine yourself and find something that works for you--for the rest of your life.

I advocate for improving your fitness in whatever baby steps you can so you can relieve yourself of some or all of the problems associated with being very overweight. You may believe that the heart of your problems is your body image and that's not fixed until you become super-model-thin. But I'm here to tell you that getting strong and capable by things as simple as walking does wonders for your self-image and your self-esteem even while you still may be very overweight.

Start getting stronger in whatever way you can so you can start living your life again, right now. But simultaneously work on your eating as best you can, without looking for the quick and easy fix.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely agree! It's interesting how once you get started on the fitness journey it becomes less about how your body looks and more about what it can do!

    ReplyDelete