Jan 22, 2012

(My) Misconception: Exercising in Cold Weather Means Being Cold

The Antarctic: Is he cold? Not in the least! He's dressed for the weather.
The very large are full of misconceptions about themselves and the world, at least in my very humble, but always right opinion. So I thought I'd continue to write about misconceptions I had which I have since proven wrong to myself as I continue on my journey to "reclaim James."

Just because it's minus 40 outside, doesn't mean you have to be the least bit cold going out there. See my exciting recent post on the subject. I have proven to myself that you can stay toasty warm even in the coldest weather. The most important things are a warm pair of gloves/mitts and covering your face. I recommend a descent balaclava for that, one that blocks the wind (not wool.)

The other night I was out walking in -25 Celcius with woolly socks in all-leather runners (they weren't meshy so they could breathe) and my feet got too hot! If you're constantly moving to the point where you sweat, your feet don't get cold. For most of us, walking is enough to make us sweat. I switched to normal socks the next night and now I'm fine in all temperatures. No boots needed.

Avid runners, on the other hand, exercise at a higher intensity and they probably have to underdress and start off cold so they can work up to their "operating temperature."  Unless they want to be shedding layers as they run, which seems like too much of a hassle. I could be wrong, but I'm usually not. (Don't forget that I'm humble.)

I'm far colder sitting on the couch these days than dressing properly and moving my body outside in frigid temperatures. If you're worried about being cold, best get up and move.

2 comments:

  1. So true. We went out to Dad's acreage yesterday and I was freezing in the cold wind, particularly as I don't have a pair of ski pants. I just wanted to go inside and sit by the fire, but instead I proposed to my family that we do some runs up the little hill near the dugout (we were all feeling kind of sluggish and gross). But the end of five laps, I was pretty warm, warm enough to spend another half hour tromping through the bush and deep snow. I only ever got cold later when we were sitting down to eat, when I got chilled. I wonder if the body kind of boomerangs the other day when you stop working? ~Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice. My friends who are Winter cyclists speak of having to only keep their face and fingers warm, as everything else overheats easily. The problem is once at work, they don't have a suitable Winter jacket for just walking around outside.

    ReplyDelete