Nov 25, 2011

After Some Setbacks, I Now Feel Really Good

November was a tough month for me in that my level of hope was challenged by injuries to my knee and back. After an early November bike ride, my first that late in the year, the snow came and my back injury got worse. In September I had a ridiculous accent with cycling shoes indoors and fell on my ass. My back hurt but seemed to be on the mend, although ever so slowly.

I had a good jog in October that was 20 minutes, a very significant landmark for me. It was, in my mind, a real jog because that's what I used to do in the old days of being fit. But it was too much too soon. My previous record this time out was fifteen minutes and that was too large of a jump all at once. I did it because I felt so good up until the end of the run but I didn't stop when I got signals from my knee that it had had enough. It pushed it one minute further to meet my goal.

My knee has been troublesome ever since. Going up stairs and jogging seemed iffy on occasion. But I'm happy to say it's all better now. If anything, going up and down a large toboggan hill seemed to help. It certainly strengthened my legs in ways they weren't before. But I'm taking it easy with jogging just in case, doing intervals instead of one long jog. Even at home on my treadmill (my fitness safety net) I do a minute or two of jogging intervals to spice up an otherwise boring routine.

All runners will tell you it feels really good to run. Well, I'd imagine it feels even better for people like me who, less than a year ago, were confined to laying in bed most of the day. Doing it for even just a couple of minutes here and there, with ever-increasing speeds as my fitness improves, feels oh so good.

I should have seen a chiropractor from the beginning. I hadn't seen one before and I know more now about back problems and how chiropractors can help get things better in a week or two.

So I feel pretty darn good! The only problem is the snow is melting. I actually want it to come back. I was just getting the hang of sledding and I'd usually much rather go tobogganing than go for a walk.

2 comments:

  1. Hi James, I love your blog and your slow but steady progress has been inspirational.

    I was wondering if you had seen this news story and if you planned to blog on it:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-parenting/post/ohio-mom-loses-custody-of-obese-son-should-the-government-penalize-parents-of-obese-children/2011/11/28/gIQA1v665N_blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous, I did see that story via Dr. Sharma's blog. It's the second or third time something like this has been in the news the last few years.

    I'm not going to comment on whether it's the right thing to do and I wouldn't, I don't think, even I knew every detail of the circumstances. But I do think the best place for a child is with their parents. It's probably difficult being that obese that young and if the parents are loving, then maybe the child should be at home.

    However, I agree that parents should take more responsibility for ensuring the best health for their kids. My instinct is to blame the parents for the problem but I admit I don't know enough. It's a complex subject.

    On the upside, stories like this in the news may make parents take a look at themselves and what they are doing to ensure eating and weight health for their children. Perhaps it will encourage a few people to seek out more education on how to best raise their child to be a healthy adult.

    ReplyDelete