Sep 8, 2011

I Thought of a New Goal, A Winter Goal

My son on the slopes of Mount Pleasant
We have a huge tobogganing hill in our area of town that I have taken my son to the last couple of years since we moved here. He has a blast, everyone there does, young and old, but the hill, a former landfill, has been too much for me to climb.

I'm left standing at the bottom of the hill watching, or sitting in the car while my seven-year-old has fun. Two winters ago I resolved to get fit so that the following winter, or a winter some day down the road, I'd be able to go up the hill and toboggan with him. It never happened, however. I used to love tobogganing when I was a kid and even did it bit after high school.

I'm always going on about cycling on this blog but here's something else I forgot I wished I could do. It's something I felt bad I couldn't do with my son and something I tried and failed to address with a three month bout of treadmill exercise last year.

My wife sledding with my daughter. Why should she have all the fun?

I'm not sure what kind of sled will hold me this winter, but it'd be a thrill and a good way to get some exercise (I might have to wear my heart rate monitor because it's a big hill.) Of course I might break a leg or something too and bring to a screeching halt my efforts to get fit, but that's not likely to happen.

Not having a full range of physical abilities means not having fun like a kid. Not having fun like a kid means not being able to enjoy life to its fullest. And that's no fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment