Aug 23, 2011

Obesity and Employment: Remembering the Way Things Were

I was asked earlier in the summer to remember how things were before I started exercising this spring and to write them down so I'd not forget. At the time I spoke of what dramatic changes I had seen in my energy levels and my everyday physical abilities.

You may have already read that last winter I found myself confined to a bed most of the day. I was too sore, too tired, too weak to do much more. As a stay at home parent, I began to regret my lack of physical ability to give my children all the attention they deserved.

My main activity with my three-year-old daughter was to read stories in bed with her during the day while my wife worked. I didn't have much energy to look after the house either. Putting a load of dishes into the dishwasher was a big deal. I really wasn't a shining example of a stay at home dad.

What's surprising to me now is how quickly I have forgotten the details of my daily life back then even though it was just a few months ago. I really need to not forget. I'm hoping this blog will help.

As a stay at home parent, I did poorly at my "job" due to my physical limitations (that were ever-deteriorating, it seemed.) I didn't much imagine myself with an actual job, with responsibilities, long days and unable to lay in bed whenever I required.

I do work a few days a year as a comic actor in film and television. It's a long, sordid story how I became an actor, so I won't bore you with it. I don't pursue acting, but sometimes I am pursued, mostly by people I know, to do the occasional comedy acting gig in front of a camera.

Most people, even those who share my affliction, might assume that motion picture acting is perfectly doable for someone with a severe weight problem. I was starting to find that this is not the case. I was becoming less than capable of the job physically. I began to struggle with the simplest of tasks.

In the last couple of years I'd have a hard time getting out of chairs in a scene. Or walking up a flight of stairs without gasping and sweating profusely. There's a long tradition of "fat" comic actors in North American, but I was getting too big and too limited to be an appealing choice for directors.

Last year I was asked to audition for a small one-time role in a national TV show. I was asked by a friend who produced the show who thought I'd be suitable for the part. He knew my abilities as a comic actor and probably thought the audition would just be a formality. But I had to walk up four flights of stairs to get to the audition and even after a half hour of waiting in the heat, still sweating profusely, I couldn't remember my name when it came time to perform, let alone my lines. I was completely humiliated and thought I'd never act again.

In the spring of this year, just as I was starting to make changes in my life through the support of my medical clinic, I suffered another humiliation. I was asked to audition for a bank commercial that could possibly lead to further promotional work. I nailed the audition comedy-wise and was a top two finalist, but in the end, they didn't want me promoting their bank based on my physical appearance (showbiz is a cruel profession.)

Last week I performed in what was probably the largest role of my 25 year (casual) acting career, at least largest in the quantity of the part (it's a low-budget web series.) When I was hired for it in April, I did a screen test with the acquaintance who asked me to be in his project. In that screen test I worried about my ability to get up out of a chair. In fact, it was quite difficult and I struggled.

But last week, when it came time to actually make the show, I was a different man. Last week I didn't have any problems putting in a nine or ten hour day (I actually asked at the outset not to have days longer than 8 hours, which they often are.) I didn't have any problem walking three quarters of a block away to change my costume a dozen times in a day. I didn't have any problems walking up and down steps, and I didn't have any problems getting out of chairs. I couldn't have done this capably a year ago, or even a few months ago.

The truth is, when I was hired for this in the spring, I had no idea if I could actually do it due to my health. If I hadn't started getting in shape, this project would have been extremely difficult for me, I would have likely faltered and suffered further humiliation. However, as it turned out, I aced the role and my acting career will live to see another day.

But I have to remember what things were like before I started exercising. It's important to my long term success.


4 comments:

  1. Good job James. You're doing awesome and your writing skills are also top notch. You really get your message across.

    I need to lose some weight and get into okay shape before it completely gets out of control. Done it twice before, with the first time being actual great shape. It's all hard work and hard when it slips away. Anyhow, hopefully I can remember your hard work when making my own changes.

    Scott Glendinning

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really exciting James. Have you considered posting about what you think are the reasons you became obese?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may, however I think the reasons maybe too personal to share. We'll see as I go along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we lose weight we actually release the stored energy for day-to-day activity. Obese people store their energy in the form of fat. Such a waste of God's creation! I found your posts very interesting, James. Keep sharing!

    Regards,
    Mantis Hugo
    Pure Noni Juice

    ReplyDelete