Jul 16, 2011

Review: New High Fibre Kraft Dinner

Like many fat people, my diet growing up consisted of tasty, easy to prepare processed foods. When they invented Kraft Dinner, it immediately found it's way into my regular meals. It was easy to prepare and tasted great. What kid doesn't like mac and cheese?

Like other overweight kids, I could eat a whole box by myself. And I did. I ate hundreds of boxes of it in my lifetime. Even during my first weight loss/fitness transformation I ate it every other night as my supper meal. I'd prepare it with half fat margarine and skim milk. Instead of normal ketchup, I used spicy ketchup so I'd use less of it and give some pizazz to my one meal of the day.

It may be hard to believe, but when you're starving yourself to lose weight, KD can seem like a surprisingly nice reward at the end of the day. (I know better now not to starve myself too much, but to eat a larger number of small meals.)

We still eat Kraft Dinner in my family. With two young kids, it's an easy way out when having to come up with lunch on weekends or even a supper meal when we're desperate for time or ideas. Recently they've released Smart Kraft Dinner, made with vegetable (cauliflower) flour. The package is only 3/4 the weight of other KDs and makes smaller portions. I didn't mind the taste and my family has adopted it.

But yesterday I found this near the floor of my Walmart KD section: "High Fibre Smart Kraft Dinner." It's 200 grams (unprepared) like normal KD (other Smart KD is 150 grams.) It's got a whopping 5 grams of fibre per serving. That means, if a fatboy like me were to eat a whole box, he'd be getting 20 grams of fibre with his 760 calories!

I'm happy to report that it tastes no different than normal KD. The only thing different is a more pale colour due to their wise omission of artificial colours and preservatives--which I think is great.

The extra fibre seems to come from oat hull fibre and chicory root.

My wife suspects it costs more and I regret not checking the price before I bought it (I assumed it was priced the same as other Kraft Dinner, and it may be.) But I would gladly pay a little more for this product.

UPDATE: It costs the same as other Kraft Dinner varieties.

1 comment:

  1. This is the first time i read your blog and admire that you have posted on this...I really found useful.Keep updated.

    ReplyDelete