Oct 24, 2012

Reese Half-Pound Peanut Butter Cup and Other Walmart Autrocities

Avert your eyes, dieters! (Photo: The Internet)
I noticed these yesterday during a frantic trip through the calorie-laden landmines of Walmart. It's the half-pound Reese Peanut Butter Cup, the food fantasy of fat kids everywhere.

Good news, though, as it only has 190 calories and 11 grams of fat per serving. Bad news: one of these monster peanut butter cups is six servings. Like I would EVER eat one sixth of any peanut butter cup, no matter how humungus!

On the corners of every aisle at Walmart are bags of chocolate candy for a very low price. Calorically speaking, it's easy to get a fix with little money. And easy to overdose, something I've done a lot in my day and something I'm trying to learn how to avoid.

My strategy: To not think of the first, endorphin-releasing bite of such snacks but to instead think of my last bite (after I've consumed the 2000 calories.) That's when I feel sick physically and am filled with regret. Avoiding such pitfalls is not an easy thing to do but imagining the end result instead of the initial benefit is a tactic that is part of my obesity-fighting arsenal.

Other food landmines at Walmart include boxes of doughnuts for $1.00. Less if they're on clearance, which they are every day. In the outside world, you can't buy a single dougnut for 70 cents, but at Walmart you can get a whole box.

I'm economically challenged so I shop there, but there are a whole lot of ethical reasons why I wouldn't if I could afford to. However, I have been impressed from time to time at some of the environmental efforts Walmart makes to improve their image as well as their bottom line.

I just wish one day they'd tackle all the temptations they are happy to display in every corner of their stores that affect our health when we give in to the temptation. The more economically-challenged you are, the more likely you're going spend your money on the cheapest, unhealthiest foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment