Sep 7, 2012

My Life-long Love Affair With The Bicycle

The closest relationships are built on trust.

My new-to-me bike passed the hug test last night. I've been fixing it up after buying a few weeks ago but something came over me when I was putting it away. It was a feeling of fondness that you don't have for an object normally. It got me to wondering.

Near the beginning of my fitness quest when I dusted off my other (road) bike after ten years of being hauled around the country and stored in garages, it was like getting re-acquainted with an old friend, a close friend.

Looking at and touching that bike as I inspected it brought back a flood of memories. We had been through a lot together and covered a lot of miles, some far from the security of home. I realized that I trusted that bike. I know it sounds odd, but there's something about the bonding of rider and bicycle that creates an emotional relationship between man and machine.

It's something about knowing what it can do, when it can do it and how it relates to what you can and cannot do. Knowing it won't break down and, most importantly, knowing the positive emotions you've experienced in it's presence. I've always enjoyed bike riding, it's instilled in my DNA.

It's one more punishing sadness about my 10+ year decent into the abyss of obesity.

No comments:

Post a Comment