Oct 17, 2011

An Update on that 100 year old Marathon Runner

Fauja Singh, 100, became the oldest person to run a marathon this weekend in Toronto. (Chris Young/Canadian Press via CBC)
These are the kind of stories that remind me not to doubt what is possible with changing my body. I used to think 44 was too old to get fit. This guy is running a marathon at a hundred years old and he only took up running at the age of 80! It's never too late! He runs 16 KM per day. That seems unimaginable to me at almost any age, yet I know I'm wrong. 


There's a few more tidbits in this story, including the information that he is grieving the loss of his wife and one of his sons. He used running very late in life to treat his depression.

He ended up completing it in 8.5 hours. He managed the full marathon, 42+ KM. It would be an amazing achievement just to stand up for 8.5 hours even at my age. He completed a marathon 3 hours faster when he was 90.

This story, this inspirational man, should reset everything you think about physical activity.

I kept thinking, "What if he drops dead during the race?" But what a way to go. I don't think I know anyone who wouldn't want to go out that way--running a marathon at age 100.

Now for gosh sake, take a good hard look at yourself and tell me why you can't go for a little walk around the block.

No comments:

Post a Comment